Way to avoid camera calibration for each android device

Community support forum for the ARToolKit v5.x for Android SDK.
4n70n1

Way to avoid camera calibration for each android device

Postby 4n70n1 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:47 pm

Hi, I am developing an android app with AR to study the impact of this techonology on sales promotion, so I will develop an "prototype" of an app just for this study. Because there are a group of end-users that will use this app, it will turn very complex and not easy to use when end-users will have to calibrate their own camera of their android device and they should not do this task. My questions is how can I develop an AR app wich uses ArToolKit libraries without the camera calibration as a requirement for each android device of users?

Thanks in advance

gizmo

Re: Way to avoid camera calibration for each android device

Postby gizmo » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:31 pm

Hi,

actually, ARToolKit solves that issue for you. ARToolKit on Android uses a camera calibration service in the background. Each time you start up an App developed with ARToolKit (and it has no calibration) it tries to find an appropriate calibration from this service. So if you know the target devices you can create the calibration with the camera calibration app for Android
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... lib_camera

Each target device will then get the calibration from this service.
If you look in the Android log during the start up of your app you will see the calls to the service.
If I responded on a post and miss keeping up please ping the post again. Sometimes they just slip through :-) .

4n70n1

Postby 4n70n1 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:51 am

Hi gizmo thank you for your very soon response I coudn't track this issue until now. Thank you for the response I comment you I was looking the sample Android Project (ArSimpleProj) which in their files there si a camera_para.dat file, I suppose this file is the camera parameters for the calibration, but when I launched the sample App I noted the camera is streched and the ratio is not the proper for the camera view so I wonder How can I set a proper ratio for camera view, I suppose I should delete the camera_para.dat file so the app will search for a camera calibration files in the artoolkit servers, Am I right?

gizmo

Postby gizmo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:48 pm

yes i would give that a try :)
If I responded on a post and miss keeping up please ping the post again. Sometimes they just slip through :-) .

Return to “ARToolKit for Android”